ASPS 2009 SPRING POETRY COMPETITION Deadline: 2009-03-21 (Postmarked)
Rules and Details
ASPS 2009 SPRING POETRY COMPETITION
Paid members: $1 per entry
Non-members: $3 per entry
"Members" must be paid prior to CONTEST DEADLINE OF MARCH 21: see Rules
1. The Alabama State Poetry Society Spring Contest (sponsor ASPS)
THIS CATEGORY IS OPEN TO PAID MEMBERS ONLY
$100, $50, $25, $10, and 3 HM's in order of merit
any form, any subject, 60 line limit
2. Jonathan Smith Memorial Award (sponsors Joe & Gail Whitten)
$30, $20, $15, and 3 HM's
any form, subject "The Joy of Music", line limit 40
3. The Changing of the Seasons (sponsor Shelia Mau)
$40, $30, $20, and up to 3 HM's at judge's discretion
any form, subject "Changing of the Seasons: literally or figuratively", line limit 40
4. Haiku for Spring (sponsor Gail Ingram)
$25, $15, $10, and one HM
form Haiku, any subject appropriate to form, at least 3 poemsnot more than 5
5. The Dana Witchern Contest (sponsors Peter & Sarah Meister)
3 winners, $25 each
any form, any subject, any length
6. Poetic Reflections Award (sponsor John Curbow)
3 winners, $50 each: MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN
any form, any subject, line limit 42
7. Brevity is Beautiful Award (sponsor Donna Jean Tennis)
Winner will receive 50 notecards featuring the winning poem.
any form, subject "Anything about Spring or Summer", line limit 8
8. "For Those Who Care" Award (sponsor Sarah Fechter)
this category is repeated because the winners in '08 were not present
3 prizes of $25 each: MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN
any form, subject "Compassion and/or Justice", line limit 42
9. Race for the Curein Honor of Gail Whitten (sponsor Joe Whitten)
$50, $40, $30, up to 3 HM's at the judge's discretion
any form, subject "Saluting the courage of someone battling cancer":
under the title, put name of person you are saluting, line limit none
10. Search for the Inexplicable Award (sponsor Kathleen Thompson)
Wallace Stevens said poetry is "a search for the inexplicable." Let's see your search.
$60, $25, $15. any form, any length.
POSTMARK DEADLINE: MARCH 21, 2009
FEES FOR UNLIMITED ENTRIES:
Members: $1 per poem
Non-members: $3 per poem
(Contest #1 is open to paid members only.)
(Winners of #6 & #8 must be present to win!)
Members must be paid by March 14 (postmark)
MAIL ENTRIES AND ENTRY FEES TO:
PO Box 125
Odenville AL 35120
Direct questions (do not email entries) to email@example.com
1. The same poem may not be entered in more than one category. Poems may
not have won a monetary award in a previous ASPS contest. All rights to previously
published poems must be retained by the poet.
2. There is no limit on entries, although you may receive only one award per contest.
Send an SASE (#10 envelope only) for winners list.
3. Submit 2 copies of each poem on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Plain type & fonts only. No script.
On each copy, put category name and number in top right corner. On one copy only,
under the category name and number, put your name and address, "Nonmember"
or "Member", and email address. Address labels are acceptable.
4. Poems are judged by qualified judges not affiliated with ASPS. Keep a copy of your
poems. All poems will be destroyed after the October meeting.
5. In the event that you are a winner, please put the name and address of one local
paper at the bottom of your "original" entry (the one with ID).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To be eligible for member fees of $1 per entry and to enter Category #1
send $20 by March 14 (postmark) to:
Dr. Wayne DeLoach
2532 County Road 57
Marbury AL 36051
Make check payable to Alabama State Poetry SocietyMemo line: Membership Dues
Do not send contest entries or contest fees to Wayne!